Search

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Get to Know SWE-MN - April 2010

FEATURING: Holly Kimball

I was introduced to Engineering in 11th grade with a “Women in Engineering” week at the
University of Dayton. Prior to that summer I was planning on being a graphic artist who just really liked math. After attending the week, I feel in love with Lasers. I found that was offered at our local
community college and in April 1998 I completed my two year degree in Laser Electro Optics Engineering Technology. I was hired onto Corning Precision Lens in Amelia, Ohio and then later was offered a Laser Technician job at Hutchinson Technologies (HTI) in Hutchinson, MN. During my time at HTI, I decided to complete my Bachelor’s in Engineering. It was in my last couple years of college that I was introduced to SWE.
I started attending SWE meetings at St. Thomas University; yes they have an accredited engineering school. I was the Service Chair in 2004. I really enjoyed
being involved but working full time at Medtronic as an on call Sr. Technician,
going to school full time and planning a wedding left little room for any
volunteering. I graduate in May of 2006 with my Bachelors in Mechanical
Engineering. I was lucky to have been working for Medtronic since 2003 and was promoted within to Associate Engineer. I continued to attended SWE meetings and conferences and was reacquainted with an active SWE role after attending professional meetings in 2008, when I became a Scholarship co-chair. I also helped to establish the Medtronic internal professional network, SWEnet, with leadership positions for three years.

Outside of work I love to volunteer but have scaled back a lot now that I have a wonderful 5 month at home. My husband, Bryan, and I keep very busy hanging out with our son Herbie. We like to do many local events like rollog, fairs, truck pulls and visiting new areas to see what they have to offer. When I have time, I like to crochet, do genealogy research and bake. I still do some volunteering and am currently on the Lymphoma Research Foundation board for fundraising. I am also walking in this year’s Heart Walk on June 5th at Target Field. It’s going to be a lot of fun, come join us.

Please go to the SWE-MN website to see more information about our section’s upcoming events and opportunities!

No comments:

Post a Comment